Monday, April 16, 2007

Gun For Sale

Story by Bob Fringer



An elderly turkey hunter once remarked that he didn’t mind dying but he was sure going to miss turkey hunting. You know, I can relate to that remark because I, too, have been badly infected by an extreme case of “turkey fever.” It wasn’t the matter of shooting a gobbler but the entire experience of hunting that elusive bird that fascinated me. I enjoyed getting out in the woods early in the morning, listening to the all the different birds greet the dawn and see the new morning come to life. To hear a thunderous gobble from a male turkey was just icing on the cake.

I could not wait until the 2006 season started. It couldn’t begin soon enough. I had spent a great deal of time in the winter months during deer season scouting for turkey signs. Starting in mid-march, I began to rise early in the morning, sit along certain wooded areas and listen for the male birds to gobble before they flew down from their night- time roosting sites. It was a little too early in the year to hear the birds but I went out at dawn anyway. By the time the season rolled around I had located half dozen places where turkeys were roosting. I was pumped up and ready to go!


On the first day I chose a place where I had experienced good luck in previous years. I had checked the area out earlier in the year and discovered that the old logging road where I wanted to hunt had become overgrown by tall weeds during the previous summer. However, I thought I could see well enough to spot a turkey if one were to wander by.

Early that morning I grabbed all my hunting gear and headed off to my hunting location. I took my Remington model 870, 12 gauge 3-inch magnum shotgun with me. I had won the gun in a raffle at a wild turkey federation banquet a few years earlier. There was just something about that gun that I didn’t like but I couldn’t put my finger on it. In addition, I was not particularly fond of that gun after missing a turkey the previous hunting season while the bird was standing in open field only 10-15 yards away from me. However, off I went.

I quietly walked along an open field for several hundred yards, slipped into the woods about 50 yards and set up my turkey decoys along that old road. When I sat down I knew I had made a mistake. The visibility was terrible. I could not see more than five yards in any direction. By this time dawn was breaking and it was getting too late to make a move so I decided to stay where I was. I had no sooner sat down when I heard a couple of male birds greet the new day with some lusty gobbles. Shortly afterward, I heard a noisy confrontation between two gobblers who were busy establishing the pecking order for the day. After I sat there for about an hour I heard a hen turkey give a few yelps as she sought some male company. Ten minutes later, I heard the rustle of some leaves. I cautiously turned my head and was surprised to see two gobblers walking in full strut about five yards behind me. I was unable to move around for a shot and was disappointed as the two birds slowly disappeared into the tall weeds.

I stayed in the same location for another half an hour and then moved over to the field and put my decoys out in front of me. After I was sitting there for some time I glanced over to my right side and when I looked back I was amazed to see a gobbler in full strut standing beside my decoys. Another bird was standing about five yards farther to my left. The one bird was no more than 25 yards away. I cautiously brought my gun up to my shoulder, put my cheek on the gunstock, carefully aimed and pulled the trigger at the strutting bird. I was dumbfounded to see the bird quickly spin to the left and start running away. I unleashed two more unsuccessful shots behind the sprinting gobbler. I could not believe I had missed that bird. To this day I can still relive that shot and wonder why I missed—but I did.

After I returned to my truck I looked at that miserable gun and decided that the two of us had to part company. I knew it could not have been my fault that I had missed two turkeys. There was something wrong with that gun! One of my friends remarked that the gun was ok but there was a problem with the nut on the gunstock. Was he talking about me? So, if any of you reading this story want to buy a slightly used shotgun, I have one for sale. Cheap!


Bob Fringer
March 16, 2007

P. S. That gun is history now. I sold it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home