Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer Camp - Oak Down Stables

Charles and Leah Newsome have one of the most interesting businesses in Bertie County. They run the riding stable in the north end of the county called Oak Down Stables. Every summer they run camps for kids. The camps are called their "Summer Enrichment Program". A 3 day event . . . the camps are a blast for kids whether they have ever ridden before or not.

The purpose of the camps is to teach kids to mount, ride, saddle and care for a horse. And while they are at it, they learn to fish too! Parents are welcome to watch their kids during the training, and there were a number who stuck around and had a great time themselves this day.


I loved horses when I was a kid. I owned every single one of the Black Stallion books, and read everything I could find about horses. As anyone who has seen me knows, I got too big for horses though. At 6 foot 4 inches and 300 pounds, there aren't too many horses that can carry me. But I never stopped loving being around them and watching them. Horses are simply amazing animals. It is one reason I also love rodeos.



Getting In Was Cramped As The Driveway Was Full Of Vehicles


Charles and Leah are running 3 camps this year, and yesterday was day one of the first camp this year. When I arrived, I was surprised at the number of cars in the ranch driveway. There are always a couple of trucks and tractors when I drive by, but this day there were over a dozen SUVs and minivans of various types.




Leah And Charles In The Riding Ring Starting Classes


Upon arrival I went straight to the riding ring to see what was happening.



Jenna Rice Teaching Riding




Jessica Howerton Teaching Mounting And Saddling




Parents Were Mostly In Groups, Watching Their Kids And Talking




Carolyn Howerton Teaching Grooming And Horse Care


Some of the other staff teaching the kids are Micheala and Anna Northcott and Gregory Hurdle.




Richard Williams Teaching Fishing, Seems To Be Teaching Well As They Got One!


This is a great way for kids to experience the summer in our county the way it has been for hundreds of years. Kids and horses need each other. There are two more camps this year, June 27-29 and July 11-13. Send your kids (and go along yourself). While you are waiting, buy your kids one of the Black Stallion books and let them learn to read and fall in love with horses at the same time.



You can reach Oak Down Stables by going to their web site at http://www.oakdownstables.com or calling (252) 356-4130.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home