Friday, June 24, 2005

A Sunday School Lesson

Story by Bob Fringer

Some time ago I had the pleasure of teaching a group of young teenagers during our church’s Sunday school period. Typical of youth at that age, they were open, challenging, vibrant and full of life. They were willing to discuss and provide answers to any of life’s perplexing problems.

To make the class interesting and meaningful, I tried to relate Christian values and principles to everyday living situations. We had some great and enlightening discussions. The teenagers were fully engaged while they expressed their views and concerns. I learned as much as they did during our time together.

On one particular Sunday, I proposed a theoretical question, which, I thought, would allow them to express their thoughts about a meaningful Christian life. I asked them what they would do if they were told that they would have only 48 hours to live.

Their responses were touching. One member said that she would spend her remaining time with her family. Another added that she would include her friends with her family. And another said that he would spend some of his time helping others who were in need. At this point in the discussion I smugly thought that I had done well teaching them Christian values. However, the discussion went quickly downhill when the next member of our group replied that, “he would try to get as much sex as he could get before he died.”

Needless to say, his response broke up the other members of the class. Apparently, this young man was known to be a wee bit obsessed by sex because his female classmates began to tease him about his collections of playboy magazines and Victoria’s secrets catalogs. I vainly tried to steer the discussion back to a more serious level of conversation but it soon became apparent that I had failed miserably in my attempt.


A few minutes later the class time was over for the day, but not soon enough for me. I had received my humbling for the day. There is nothing like a teenager to bring you down from your lofty perch.

Young ladies be aware! That young man continues in his quest!!!. You have been warned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home